It begins with goals – and understanding.
Positive behaviour support is a person-centred, strengths-based approach to empower people with complex needs to direct their life and pursue their interests.
By understanding a person’s likes, needs and motivators, we can develop a plan to nurture new skills and manage complex behaviours through prosocial engagement.
What is a Behaviour Support Plan (BSP)?
A BSP is used to help understand a person’s needs across their family, work and home environments.
It includes a functional behaviour assessment and a summary of supports and strategies to help ease behaviours of concern – and reduce restrictive practices.
There are two types of BSPs:
- An interim BSP is used to minimise immediate risks to the person and others
- A comprehensive BSP supports their ongoing progress towards positive change
At EHC, we take time to learn about the person and their environment. We consult with the participant and the people in their life to develop a dynamic plan that adapts to their changing needs.
Who is a BSP for?
A BSP is used to support people with behaviours of concern, as well as their family and their support networks.
NDIS participants who receive Improved Relationships funding can access positive behaviour support with the EHC (a registered NDIS provider).
The benefits of a BSP
A person’s quality of life can be improved with a BSP through:
- Helping the participant develop skills to communicate their needs
- Reducing restrictive practices with fade out strategies
- Managing and easing behaviours of concern
- Fostering richer relationships with their family, friends, carers and colleagues
Positive behaviour support at EHC
As a team with lived experience, collaboration and understanding remain at the core of our positive behaviour support.
In developing a BSP, our multidisciplinary team will:
- Conduct a thorough functional behaviour assessment
- Prepare an overview of the person’s day-to-day functioning, identifying their strengths and areas where they may require additional support
- Work with the person, their family and their carers to develop a tailored BSP that meets the
At EHC, it’s our goal to empower people to realise theirs.